4 Acts of kindness from you to your community
But what can we do for our loved ones? What can we do to spread kindness and give back love to our community?
Here are our ideas on how to spread kindness, and a reminder that the more you give, the more you will gain in return.
1. Support locals
- Buy from small and local businesses, we know how much they appreciate and need our help, especially during this difficult time.
- Share your favourite local businesses with your friends, on your social media pages, as your endorsement is very powerful (“friend of mine awareness”)!
- Buy a gift card for a local business, for your own future use, or to give to someone special. Many local businesses now have the option of gift cards available online and the added cash flow gives them the opportunity of staying in business and healthy during this hard time.
3. Check in with your friends and family, especially with those who live by alone
Sometimes it is hard to notice if friends and family are doing okay, as we get caught up in day to day tasks. Being kept apart from our friends and family, from our jobs, from our routine, is not easy on many of us. That’s why it is so important to show to ‘your people’ that you are there for them, to support them in being healthy physically and mentally during this global pandemic. Introduce them to technology like Facetime, Skype and Zoom so your chats can be more meaningful.
And remember that the City of Colwood is also offering added support networks. Please check the links below and help ensure your friends and family receive the love and support they need:
Everyone can protect their mental health with the following services:
4. Place some hearts in your window
People around the world are placing hearts on their windows to show the world we are in this together and that we will get through this together.
If you are walking and you see hearts on windows, take a picture and share with your community! It’s the new way of hugging.
Join the global shout out to health care givers and front line employees by making noise, banging pots and shouting thank you each evening at 7 p.m. It truly is a wonderful way to express our gratitude!
So, let’s keep our community strong! Let’s all stay together (with social distancing, of course) and get to the other side of this as strong and united as we can be!